Young World – August 2012
“A Teacher’s Heart”
In prior years of writing this column, I typically try to impart some wisdom to
students as they initiate a new school year. I want students to expect great things for
themselves and from themselves. For August 2012, I think I’ll try something different. I
continue to want all students to expect great things, but this year, I would like to call
upon the teachers for a little bit of help.
I very humbly submit this request to every teacher within eyesight of this article;
my simple request is that you remember why you began teaching. If you got into
teaching for summers off, then you can feel free to skip the memory exercise (you
should focus on whether you really want to remain in education). Do you remember
that incredible sense of anticipation leading up to the start of school? Do you remember
when you spent more money on back-to-school supplies than you were probably going
to earn in your first week’s paycheck? Do you still have your first Roll Book; your first
gift from a student? Do you remember worrying about how your students would react
These questions I ask to help you think back to a time when all that mattered was
how many students you could help. Of all the teachers I know, some who taught me,
some who taught with me and many of whom I watched teach brilliant lessons, there
was one driving force pushing them into education: the students. Years ago, the
Jackson 5 released a song called Young Folks. The refrain from that song said, “You
gotta make a way for the young folks!” That is the same sentiment that drew, and
continues to draw, people from all races and cultures to the classroom. It is the concept
and the belief that “I can save the world one child at a time”.
When teachers begin to lose sight of the “one child at a time” mentality, all
students begin to look alike. The actions of one student invoke good or bad memories of
a completely different student. At this point, the teachers’ reaction is based more on
what happened with the other student than what is actually happening now. Whether
good or bad, last year was – it no longer is, nor will ever be again. If it was great, by all
means, exert every effort to replicate. But if it was bad, set it aside; take from it only
that which you can use to positively benefit the young little darlings about to invade
Give each student the benefit of the doubt. Give them the opportunity to learn
from what you do, not only what you say. Show students the same compassion you
expect from your principal. In much the same way teachers flee a school with
inconsistent or weak leadership; some students will not react or perform well in an
undisciplined classroom environment. As a side note, volume and/or harsh tones are
poor substitutes for classroom leadership. Allow your students to see how much you
A considerable amount of effort and money are spent each year to teach teachers
that each student has a life outside of the 8 am – 3 pm school day box. And, the
condition of that life will largely govern the student’s attitudes, actions, reactions and
motivating factors. I urge all teachers to get to know 1 or 2 interesting facts about their
students before beginning the 180 day dash to June.
It is much easier said than done – I do realize that – however, all adults
connected to a school are responsible for the development (mental, social or otherwise)
of each student whenever they are on the school campus. Teachers and administrators
will do well to remember, “The student least likely to ask for help is the one who is most
The role of a teacher is an overwhelming and sometimes frightening hill to climb.
Often thankless and under-appreciated, many teachers return to the classroom year after
year determined that this year will be better than the last. I salute you and I thank you.
As a teacher, you may never see the full effect of the work you’ve begun in a students’
life. Teachers are like the rock that creates a ripple in still waters - though its presence
changes the contours of the water, the rock never knows nor never sees where the
Just writing about the new school year brings on that anticipation. I look
forward to the new year because of the enormous potential and the opportunities to help
shape the contours of a young mind.
Young people, I hope you have returned to school ready to work to your fullest
potential. Remember that potential unfulfilled is an undiscovered treasure! Your
wonderful life begins today! Enjoy!
Chris Dinkins is an educator and youth advocate. Send questions and comments about youth
related issues to him at YoungWorld.SCarolina@gmail.com.
No comments:
Post a Comment